911 RSR finishes fifth
In the sixth round of the Tudor United SportsCar Championship in Canada Nick Tandy and Richard Lietz showed a mistake-free race in the GTLM class.
At Canadian Tire Motorsports Park, Porsche North America placed one of its two Porsche 911 RSR into the top-five of the GTLM class results. In the customer team-focused GTD class, Park Place Motorsport nearly scored their first victory in the class before a next-to-last lap pass dropped them to second in a dramatic battle.
Nick Tandy started and finished the No. 911 Porsche North America Porsche 911 RSR. The Brit relinquished the ride less than one hour into the event to teammate Richard Lietz (Austria) to maximize pit strategy in the two-hour, 45-minute race. Tandy returned behind the wheel for the final hour. The strategy, coupled with two error-free pit stops by the Porsche North America operation, moved the team as high as fourth in class. They would take the checkered flag in fifth.
The 911 RSR No. 912 came in ninth
The team car, the No. 912, was started by Patrick Long in eighth-place. The American charged the car as high as fourth before handing the wheel to Michael Christensen (Denmark). After pit stop sequencing, the second works car was in eighth in the incredibly competitive field of factory cars. The young Dane, who like Tandy and Lietz had never before driven at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park, took the checkered flag in ninth.
The only customer team to field a Porsche 911 RSR in North America, Team Falken Tire, had the best qualifying effort for the marque this weekend starting third. Bryan Sellers started third in the field. The American fought off multiple attacks before succumbing to the onslaught late in his stint. Wolf Henzler (Germany) took over from sixth for the second-half of the race eventually finishing eighth in class.
Results sixth round Bowmanville/Kanada
1. Magnussen/Garcia (DK/E), Chevrolet Corvette, 127 laps
2. Bomarito/Wittmer (USA/CAN), Dodge SRT Viper, 127
3. D. Farnbacher/Goossens (D/B), Dodge SRT Viper, 127
4. Müller/Edwards (D/GB), BMW Z4 GTE, 126
5. Lietz/Tandy (A/GB), Porsche 911 RSR, 126
6. Auberlen/Priaulx (USA/GB), BMW Z4 GTE, 126
8. Henzler/Sellers (D/USA), Porsche 911 RSR, 126
9. Christensen/Long (DK/USA), Porsche 911 RSR, 126
1. Bleekemolen/Keating (NL/USA), Dodge SRT Viper, 121 laps
2. Estre/Lindsey (F/USA), Porsche 911 GT America, 121
3. Cameron/Palttala (USA/SF), BMW Z4, 120
4. Barker/Faulkner (GB/IRL), Porsche 911 GT America, 120
5. MacNeil/Keen (USA/USA), Porsche 911 GT America, 120
6. James/M. Farnbacher (USA/D), Porsche 911 GT America, 120